On April 22, 2010, the EPA’s new “Lead Rule” will come into effect, meaning that anyone who renovates structures built before 1978 will be required to have EPA RRP certification. Therefore, it is crucial that any renovator who is working on a structure built before 1978 in which lead paint will be disturbed must have “Certified Renovators” on the job site.
Please be aware that the cost of the training does not include the cost of the fee for the EPA certification. It takes the EPA about six weeks to process and approve certification, so it is vital to start the process as soon as possible.
There is an “opt-out” provision to the rule, however, to keep in mind. The rule will not apply if the renovator, after providing the “Renovate Right” lead safety brochure to the property owner, gets a signed pre-renovation form from the owner affirming that all of the following conditions are met:
- They have received a copy of the “Renovate Right” pamphlet
- The renovation will occur in the owner’s residence
- No child under age 6 resides there (or visits/sleeps there regularly)
- No woman who is pregnant resides there
- The housing is not a child-occupied facility (Note: a child occupied facility is a pre-1978 building visited regularly by the same child, under 6 years old, on at least two different days within any week, for at least 3 hours each day, provided that the visits total at least 60 hours annually.)
- The owner acknowledges that the renovation firm will not be required to use the work practices contained in the rule.
After April 22, the property owner will have the choice to request the renovator to use the work practices required by the lead rule, even if all the above criteria are met.
There will be a shortage of training availability as the deadline approaches. Don’t wait – find a trainer as soon as possible. Here are some helpful links to information you need to know.
– The brochure you must give to your clients: “Renovate Right” brochure (PDF)
– The EPA website section informing Contractors about the certification process, training providers and eligible courses.
(Special for NARI Members: NARI is offering a special discount to members for the EPA brochure “Renovate Right”. The deal is a package of 50 for only $39.95.)